Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Why Start Now?

 Although Ive always enjoyed food, I had never given much interest in how it was made, or what exactly is in this? until the last 10 years. Now I feel obsessed with everything, from the history of ingredients, to techniques of preparation, and the joining of all the elements.

 

 I look at everything I put in my mouth now, and give it thought as to what makes this. what it is. The old saying The more I learn, the more I realize how much I dont know is my driving force. Food is a wonderful conversation. Every individual you talk with, has a different story, they look at the same ingredient at another view. I firmly believe that people can be as fanatical about food, as they are about religion.

 As I study the disciplines of French techniques, or Asian methods, I find myself learning even more from inquiring with the home cook. Someone that spends day in and day out, cooking for the worst critics The Family. Creativity abounds, from dealing with finicky children, to lack of ingredients, to budgetary concerns. Thomas Keller may be a genius, but the real evolution of food, comes straight from the family cook next door.

I hope to use this space as a way to document my discoveries, and to also share that with others.

This is just another of those conversations with and audience that has no barriers.

 

No comments: